clock allocation in PAUSED state

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Wed Jan 15 07:17:19 PST 2014

On Mi, 2014-01-15 at 10:12 -0500, Nicolas Dufresne wrote:
> Le mercredi 15 janvier 2014 à 17:01 +0530, Yogesh Tyagi a écrit :
>
> > Is there any way we can force gstreamer to allocate clock in PAUSED
> > state?
>
> It really depends on what clock you want. For audio clock, this is not
> possible, and even if it was it would not be going forward in pause
> state. If you need a clock sooner, and want this clock to be used by
> your pipeline, I would recommend using gst_system_clock_obtain() and
> gst_element_set_clock(pipeline, clock). Be aware that audio quality may
> suffer.

You most likely want to use gst_pipeline_use_clock() though, as
otherwise GstPipeline will still select a clock itself when changing
state from PAUSED to PLAYING. Which is usually when clocks are selected
and also when clocks are advancing in the GStreamer context (i.e. the
running time advances, but for some clocks they also don't advance at
all in PAUSED like Nicolas says).

Expertise, Straight from the Source