Understanding rtpbin example

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Sun Jan 19 01:52:44 PST 2014

On Do, 2014-01-16 at 10:35 -0800, Baby Octopus wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to understand rtpbin example for sending RTP stream to a client.
> The example pipeline in the plugin is as follows
> [...]
> I'm confused with the port usage here. All sending port look ok
> video data - 5000
> video rtcp - 5001
> audio data - 5002
> audio rtcp - 5003
>
> But how are the rtcp recieve ports calculated as 5005 and 5007? Is it
> mandatory to have them based on sending ports?

I don't think anything is mandatory there, even not that RTP is on an
even port and RTCP for it on the next odd port. That's just a
recommendation from the RFC.

These port numbers are usually communicated between all participants via
a separate signalling protocol.

Expertise, Straight from the Source