no basic properties showing up for playbin

Henry Kaufman henry at tactable.com
Thu Jan 30 11:28:33 PST 2014

Hi Nicholas,

Thanks for the tips.

The errors were coming from
 g_object_set( m_GstPipeline, "uri", strFilename.c_str(), NULL );
and
 g_object_get (G_OBJECT (m_GstPipeline), "name", &name, NULL);

I tried your suggestion of using the installer from gstreamer.freedesktop.org.
Now the app uses the header and links with all the files from /Library/Frameworks/GStreamer.framework
It works much better. It gets through all the code from the previous message,
but now the problem is that it detects an audio stream, but no video streams.

    // Open Uri
    g_object_set( m_GstPipeline, "uri", strFilename.c_str(), NULL );  // works now!

    gint flags;
    /* Set flags to show Audio and Video but ignore Subtitles */
    g_object_get (m_GstPipeline, "flags", &flags, NULL);
    flags |= GST_PLAY_FLAG_VIDEO | GST_PLAY_FLAG_AUDIO;
    flags &= ~GST_PLAY_FLAG_TEXT;
    g_object_set (m_GstPipeline, "flags", flags, NULL);

    // Number of Video Streams
    g_object_get( m_GstPipeline, "n-video", &m_iNumVideoStreams, NULL );  // returns 0 video streams

	// Number of Audio Streams
    g_object_get( m_GstPipeline, "n-audio", &m_iNumAudioStreams, NULL );  // returns 1 audio stream

The file definitely has video (H-264 encoding). I am able to run gst-launch-1.0 -v playbin uri=file://…myVideo.mg4

When I use the macports gst-launch-1.0, I actually get a video player showing up using XQuartz, when I use the free desktop gst-launch-1.0 (in /Library/Frameworks/GStreamer.framework/Commands), it seems to play for the correct amount of time, but no video or audio shows up (but no errors either) (I made sure there were no macports references in he path).

It seems to be finding the plugins fine, but for some reason, the app is not detecting the video, and no errors are reported.

The 0.10 version of the app was using this to configure the pipeline:
		GstCaps* caps = gst_caps_new_simple( "video/x-raw-rgb",
			"bpp",        G_TYPE_INT, 24,
			"depth",      G_TYPE_INT, 24,
			"endianness", G_TYPE_INT,4321,
			"red_mask",   G_TYPE_INT,0xff0000,
			"green_mask", G_TYPE_INT,0x00ff00,
			"blue_mask",  G_TYPE_INT,0x0000ff,
			"alpha_mask", G_TYPE_INT,0x000000ff,
			NULL );

		gst_app_sink_set_caps( GST_APP_SINK( m_GstVideoSink ), caps );
		gst_caps_unref( caps );

I changed the caps to this according to the porting to 1.0 guide:
	GstCaps* caps = gst_caps_new_simple( "video/x-raw",
                                             "format",     G_TYPE_STRING, "RGB",
                                            //            "bpp",        G_TYPE_INT, 24,
                                            //            "depth",      G_TYPE_INT, 24,
                                            //            "endianness", G_TYPE_INT,4321,
                                            //            "red_mask",   G_TYPE_INT,0xff0000,
                                            //            "green_mask", G_TYPE_INT,0x00ff00,
                                            //            "blue_mask",  G_TYPE_INT,0x0000ff,
                                            //            "alpha_mask", G_TYPE_INT,0x000000ff,
            NULL );

Could this be where the problem is?
The purpose of this app is to render the video to an OpenGL texture, so I would like GStreamer to provide RGB image buffers that I can transfer to OpenGL texture.

Thanks for the help!

-Henry