Simultaneous 32 and 64 bit development on the same machine

Lasse Laursen gazoo at 42.dk
Fri Jul 11 00:46:19 PDT 2014

Dear GStreamer-devel,

I've recently found a need to start compiling a 64-bit version of my
GStreamer app. I'd prefer not having to give up my 32-bit version
though, so I set about to have my cake and eat it too.

But I'm left with a few questions, to which I may, or may not already
have the answers. I could do with some input regardless.

So the two big challenges I see that need resolving are as follows:

1. GST_PLUGIN_PATH defined as an environment variable. This can - of
course - only point to either the 32 or 64 bit collection of plug-ins.
My assumption is that plug-ins are also compiled in either a 32 or 64
bit fashion and should be used with the respective version of the
GStreamer library. An earlier message on this mailing list indicated
that Gstreamer automatically scans this place:

DIR/lib/gstreamer-1.0/ where DIR is

g_win32_get_package_installation_directory_of_module()

here I'm already a bit curious as whether that changes the directory it
points at if you're running a 64-bit version of an application
dynamically linked with 64-bit GStreamer...?

Another helpful user pointed out the option of using 'putenv' to modify
the environment variables during runtime, which would then fairly easily
let me point the GST_PLUGIN_PATH to the right directory.

2. The PATH environment variable has the same issue - pointing only to
the 32 or 64 binaries. I'm guessing 'putenv' could solve this too,
unless someone else has some other cool and easier ways to fix this?

------------------

With both these approaches one thing I worry about it having to remove
the default environment variables, as using GStreamers executables
separately is quite useful for testing a lot of stuff. But having to
continuously add and remove them is quite the hassle. Apart from
creating a custom batch file that launches a cmd window and adds these
env. variables, I'm also a little at a loss as to how to solve this...

Any and all thoughts/comments are welcome. I will test this soon, but I
am keen to hear existing experience!

Regards,
Lasse

--