Bug? Feature? Dream? I need null-frame support.

Louis Simons lousimons at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 15:26:39 PDT 2014

On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 2:16 PM, Stirling Westrup <swestrup at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 1:47 PM, Andrew Burgess <aab at cichlid.com> wrote:
>
>> i am a total noobie at this but how about writing a pipeline element
>> that converts zero dimension frames to max dimension (instead of 1x1)
>> and make them black?
>>
>> I can't even *make* zero dimension frames without breaking gstreamer, but
> the idea of an element which just generates blank backgrounds of an
> appropriate size and color had occurred to me (I might not even need to
> write it. It may be doable with existing elements).
>
> The trouble is, I would need to dynamically arrange to have this element
> added and removed from a working pipeline as the user adjusts his
> configuration, such as by changing how scaling is done. Doing that in a
> neat and clean way would be a real pain.

To avoid the adding and removing, I've been using the intervideosrc/sink
elements to get blank (black) frames downstream when parts of a pipeline
are being modified.  I don't think it's the most gstreamer way of doing
things, but it has sort-of worked.  I may hit a performance bottleneck down
the road, though.