Jack elements on Mac OS

Christian Leichsenring cleichsenring at techfak.uni-bielefeld.de
Mon Jun 30 07:20:59 PDT 2014

On Thu, 26 Jun 2014 09:11:20 +0200
Sebastian Dröge <sebastian at centricular.com> wrote:

> On Mi, 2014-06-25 at 10:08 +0200, Christian Leichsenring wrote:
> > I was wondering why the jackaudiosrc/jackaudiosink elements are not
> > available on Mac OS, given that Jack does exist on the Mac.
> >
> > Apparently, the object files are built and even installed but the
> > elements are not listed or available.
> >
> > Did anyone ever try to port the jackaudio modules to Mac OS and hit
> > some roadblock? Or was it that just nobody ever tried?
>
> AFAIK it's just that nobody ever tried, and I didn't even think of the
> possibility that JACK is available on OSX. So it's not included in the
> binaries at least.
>
> Not sure if we want to ship JACK unconditionally with the GStreamer
> binaries though... or is JACK usage very common on OSX? I guess we could
> add a variant for this to cerbero (and if you build manually without
> cerbero there is no problem anyway) to build the JACK libraries and
> everything, and then include the plugin.

Sorry for the late response. Something went wrong with my subscription
to the list so it'd be great if you could Cc any reply to me for now.

Jack actually runs really well on Mac OS and I would guess it's about
as frequently used as it is on Linux: most users have never heard of it
but in some professional contexts it's about the only option :)

I didn't consciously use Cerbero though. In fact, it's the first time I
hear about it. After the Homebrew stuff failed to build the jack
plugin, I tried manually but I only used plain old cmake. The configure
script recognized the installed jack and built and installed the module
files but I can't see them with gst-inspect and I consequently can't
use the elements in my code or with gst-launch. I have no idea why
though :/

Thanks for the information so far and sorry again for the delay. Best regards,

	Christian