RTSP Multicast Scenario Setup

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Sat Mar 1 07:25:10 PST 2014

On Fr, 2014-02-28 at 17:07 +0100, Mario Montagud Climent wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I'm testing with the gst-rtsp-server (branch 1.2.3). In unicast mode,
> the provided examples work very nice (RTSP, SDP, RTP and RTCP)!
> However, I had no success with the multicast mode.
>
> I've checked that in the provided multicast examples (e.g.,
> test-multicast) a multicast address pool is created. So, my question
> is: how can I launch a multicast client that will receive the RTP
> stream/s through one of the configured multicast addresses?
>
> At the client side I run: ./test-multicast, and at the receiver side
> (different machines) I run:  gst-launch-1.0 -v rtspsrc
> location="rtsp://ip_rtsp_server:8554/test" ! rtph264depay ! avdec_h264
> ! autovideosink
>
> The audio/video streams are played out (also using VLC). However, I
> can only see unicast RTP/RTCP packets in Wireshark, and I want a
> shared multicast stream (224.x.x.x) for the different clients, what am
> I doing wrong?

IIRC rtspsrc by default prefers TCP, then UDP unicast and as last option
UDP multicast. By setting the protocols property on rtspsrc to
udp-multicast it will only use that and fail if multicast is not
possible.

On the server side, I think it's indeed a bit unintuitive that it still
tries to allow unicast if you only provided a pool with multicast
addresses. I think this should be reported as a bug at
http://bugzilla.gnome.org against GStreamer/gst-rtsp-server.

Expertise, Straight from the Source