RTSP Multicast Scenario Setup

Mario Montagud mamontor at posgrado.upv.es
Mon Mar 3 02:26:10 PST 2014

Hi Sebastian,

Thank you very much for the feedback!

See my comments below

IIRC rtspsrc by default prefers TCP, then UDP unicast and as last option
UDP multicast. By setting the protocols property on rtspsrc to
udp-multicast it will only use that and fail if multicast is not
possible.

On the server side, I think it's indeed a bit unintuitive that it still
tries to allow unicast if you only provided a pool with multicast
addresses. I think this should be reported as a bug at
http://bugzilla.gnome.org against GStreamer/gst-rtsp-server.

Yes, I read that in the rtspsrc documentation. I think it is exactly what is
happening.

If I configure VLC to play out  the incoming RTSP stream
(rtsp://ip_rtsp_server:8554/test), it works but in a unicast way.

If I use Gstreamer:

  1) gst-launch-1.0 playbin uri=rtsp://ip_rtsp_server:8554/test

  2) gst-launch-1.0 -v rtspsrc location="rtsp://192.168.37.240:8555/test" !
rtph264depay ! avdec_h264 ! Autovideosink

Both options also play out the incoming RTSP stream in a unicast way.

If I try to force the multicast mode in rtspsrc, it fails:

  3) gst-launch-1.0 -v rtspsrc location="rtsp://192.168.37.240:8555/test"
mcast-iface=eth0 protocols=GST_RTSP_LOWER_TRANSP_UDP_MCAST ! rtph264depay !
avdec_h264 ! autovideosink

Error: /“Could not connect to server, no protocols left/”. -> Since UDP
Multicast is the last option!

Actually, the cause of the error is the “protocolos” option.

Am I doing something wrong? Probably I should specify the multicast group to
which the client must join, but I don't know how .. Or, contrarily, should I
report a bug?

By the way, I do not fully understand how the different multicast addresses
in the pool are assigned to the clients. Can I have different multicast
streaming sessions in the same RTSP Server? How can I client can indicate
the specific multicast group it wants to join?