Default Plugin Paths are broken?

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Wed Mar 12 12:53:28 PDT 2014

On Mi, 2014-03-12 at 15:39 -0400, Stirling Westrup wrote:
> According to the documentation for GStreamer 1.2, the default for
> GST_PLUGIN_SYSTEM_PATH_1_0 and/or $GST_PLUGIN_SYSTEM_PATH, if not set,
> should include the path
>
>   /usr/include/lib/gstreamer-1.0

Are you sure about "include"? If ...

> I have a custom element that currently installs there if someone does the
> usual compilation dance of:
>
>   ./configure
>   make
>   sudo make install

... you run that it will install in /usr/local/lib/gstreamer-1.0.

> However, its not getting found by gstreamer, unless I add
>
>   --gst-plugin-path=/usr/include/lib/gstreamer-1.0
>
> to the command lines.

This is required if your main GStreamer installation is in /usr instead
of /usr/local but you install plugins into /usr/local.
GST_PLUGIN_PATH=/usr/local/lib/gstreamer-1.0 should work too though.

If it doesn't work, run with GST_DEBUG=GST_REGISTRY:6,GST_PLUGIN:6. It
should list all the scanning for plugins.

> I tried to find out what the default set of paths on my OS is (CentOS 6.4)
> but it seems that gst_registry_get_path_list has recently been removed from
> the API, as has gst_registry_add_path, so I can't even tell my application
> to explicitly look in the correct place.

gst_registry_scan_path() is doing that.

Expertise, Straight from the Source