gstreamer-1.0 playbin & mixed sources

David W. Harks dave at dwink.net
Mon May 5 14:03:34 PDT 2014

All,

I’m working on a project that needs to produce an endless, continuous video stream, using gstreamer-1.2.4. Using the playbin element, I’ve set up a simple program to loop through a set of files, updating the uri when about_to_finish is sent. This works great, as long as all the videos are the same format.

Now, an additional requirement has surfaced — I need to include image files, played for a period of time, mixed in with the video files. I tried the obvious thing of just letting playbin play them, but that behaves (as might be expected) by showing the single frame and then moving right along.

I found the imagefreeze plugin, and that can produce the desired output — the image displayed continuously. However, I need to switch back to a video after a fixed period of time. Additionally, it seems that in order to reconfigure the pipeline for this kind of switch, I would need to stop it, losing the ‘continuous’ streaming.

Am I missing something, or is the only way forward to either use a library like Clutter to show two separate pipelines on the same canvas(stage), or to create a custom gstreamer plugin that is a sink for both the images and the video, and handles the details of freezing the images for N seconds then switching?

Thanks much for any pointers you can provide!

-d

--
David W. Harks <dave at dwink.net>