hlsdemux miss RESOLUTION extension

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Sat May 10 22:53:31 PDT 2014

On So, 2014-05-11 at 03:37 +0200, Michal Lazo wrote:
> Hi
> current hlsdemux miss RESOLUTION extension.
> This property is useful if player change output window and in most case it
> is really waste of bandwidth if hlsdemux switch to higher resolution and
> bitrate but player window is much smaller.
>
> Is it possible to handle some event  from upper(xvimagesink or other)
> elements in player about window size change.
> Any plan or idea for this extension.
>
> As rest of implementation in hlsdemux should be easy

The resolution is usually propagated upstream to elements with the CAPS
query, and the elements are notified of something changing with the
RECONFIGURE event. Unfortunately in this case this won't work yet as
1) after hlsdemux there is another demuxer that does not forward and
   transform the CAPS query downstream (and can't sensibly). This
   is tsdemux usually.
2) after that second demuxer there is a video decoder, and video
   decoders currently don't forward and transform the CAPS query.
   The decoder could do this quite easily, and it could probably
   even be implemented in the video decoder base class.

1) is a real problem and I currently don't know how to solve that
without putting demuxers inside hlsdemux so that hlsdemux can directly
query the CAPS on the video stream.

hlsdemux already parses the RESOLUTION information from the playlist
btw, it just doesn't do anything with it.

Expertise, Straight from the Source