Adding a pipeline to another

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Sat May 10 23:04:43 PDT 2014

On Fr, 2014-05-09 at 16:16 +0100, James Perrin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm relatively new to GST and have a simple question to which I've not
> found a clear answer for.
>
> I'm writing a plugin for an app that has already created a pipeline with
> an available tee to which I can attach
>
> Can I use parse_launch() to create a partial pipeline object " ! queue
> name=mysubpipe ! ... ! sink" and link mysubpipe to the tee in the main
> pipeline?
>
> I've tried this and it works correctly but should there really be only
> one pipeline object in a hierarchy?

It works but you shouldn't have a pipeline inside a pipeline indeed.
Only the outer one should be a pipeline, the inner ones should be plain
bins. Check this:
http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/data/doc/gstreamer/head/gstreamer/html/gstreamer-GstParse.html#gst-parse-bin-from-description

Expertise, Straight from the Source