Deploying an application with a trimmed version of GStreamer?

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Thu May 22 01:50:12 PDT 2014

On Do, 2014-05-22 at 17:33 +0900, Lasse Laursen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Having successfully gotten my application to run on my second test
> machine with Gstreamer, I'm beginning to ponder the ramifications of
> possibly distributing an application publicly.
>
> As I understand it GStreamer is LGPL with some proprietary plug-ins. I
> initially considered statically linking with Gstreamer until I found out
> that that legally this would either require me to...
>
> a. Also release my code under the LGPL, or...
> b. Provide users with means to re-link with other LGPL code.
>
> Not too keen on 'a' for now, and 'b' sounds like it'd be a lot of work.
> So looking at still dynamically linking with Gstreamer, has anyone got
> any tips for perhaps 'trimming' down the Gstreamer package to just the
> parts that are actually in use? Is this legal?

Sure, you can just omit all the plugins and libraries (and their
dependencies) you don't need and this will already decrease the size a
lot depending on what your application needs to do. You will need to
provide any changes you do to the LGPL code as source code though.

Which platform(s) are you targetting?

For the static linking... you can do that, and b) is done by some
companies already. Basically you'll have to provide the .o files for
your application and then a script or something to link those together
with GStreamer to a final application.

Expertise, Straight from the Source