Deploying an application with a trimmed version of GStreamer?

Lasse Laursen gazoo at 42.dk
Thu May 22 05:11:16 PDT 2014

Currently I'm just targeting my development platform - Windows, and I
just currently use Gstreamer mainly to read and decode the webm format
which... I believe is open?

Is there a good way to trim down Gstreamer other than applying
logic/deleting stuff and see what suddenly no longer works?

On 22-05-2014 17:50, Sebastian Dröge wrote:
> On Do, 2014-05-22 at 17:33 +0900, Lasse Laursen wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Having successfully gotten my application to run on my second test
>> machine with Gstreamer, I'm beginning to ponder the ramifications of
>> possibly distributing an application publicly.
>>
>> As I understand it GStreamer is LGPL with some proprietary plug-ins. I
>> initially considered statically linking with Gstreamer until I found out
>> that that legally this would either require me to...
>>
>> a. Also release my code under the LGPL, or...
>> b. Provide users with means to re-link with other LGPL code.
>>
>> Not too keen on 'a' for now, and 'b' sounds like it'd be a lot of work.
>> So looking at still dynamically linking with Gstreamer, has anyone got
>> any tips for perhaps 'trimming' down the Gstreamer package to just the
>> parts that are actually in use? Is this legal?
> Sure, you can just omit all the plugins and libraries (and their
> dependencies) you don't need and this will already decrease the size a
> lot depending on what your application needs to do. You will need to
> provide any changes you do to the LGPL code as source code though.
>
> Which platform(s) are you targetting?
>

> For the static linking... you can do that, and b) is done by some
> companies already. Basically you'll have to provide the .o files for
> your application and then a script or something to link those together
> with GStreamer to a final application.

Lasse Farnung Laursen
Post.doc at the University of Tokyo
www.lasselaursen.com <http://www.lasselaursen.com>