Possible bug - Decreasing timestamp not taken care for gstaudiodecoder

Baby Octopus jagadishkamathk at gmail.com
Tue May 27 09:13:50 PDT 2014

Hi,

gstvideodecoder has a check to see if previous PTS is more than current PTS,
and if so, it will set current PTS to previous PTS. THis can happen when the
stream is erroneous(packet losses )

Such a check does not exist for gstaudiodecoder. The issue goes like this -
because of packet losses, two consecutive audio frames have very close
timestamps(delta is fairly small). What follows audio decoder is aac
encoder, which does has smaller framesize compared to what decoder is
giving. When the encoder extracts the buffers from gstadapter, prev_pts
becomes greater than cur_pts. A hack can be added in gstaudioencoder but I'm
not quite sure if that is right

Equivalent pipeline:
gst-launch-1.0 udpsrc port=5050 ! decodebin ! audioconvert ! voaacenc !
fakesink -v

I can share the snippet of transport stream which can be played through a
playout server(to reproduce the issue)

~BO