"Seek" not working, likely due to duration being detected improperly

PiyushAgarwal piyush.agarwal at ll.mit.edu
Wed May 28 13:31:22 PDT 2014

Hmm, sorry I guess I should have asked some investigative questions first.

Is this using gstreamer-sharp for gstreamer 0.10? (my running sample code is
based off of gstreamer-sharp 0.99 with gstreamer 1.2.4)

What type of file are you trying to playback/seek through?

What does the overall pipeline look like in terms of the elements (demux,
codecs, any other elements)?

I think you are correct that the seeking will not work properly if the
pipeline can't query the duration.

Your seek code looks mostly OK to me. Though I would change SeekType.END, 0
to SeekType.NONE, 0 for jumping to a specific time.

NONE - no change in position is required
SET - absolute position is requested
END - relative position to duration is requested

I was following the following tutorials when trying to understand seeking in
GStreamer, maybe they will help you as well:

http://docs.gstreamer.com/display/GstSDK/Basic+tutorial+4%3A+Time+management
http://docs.gstreamer.com/display/GstSDK/Basic+tutorial+13%3A+Playback+speed

Piyush