sparse audio stream and GAP event

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Wed Oct 22 00:37:34 PDT 2014

On Mi, 2014-10-22 at 09:33 +0900, Wonchul Lee wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I meet some contents what audio stream is missing at the last part of it.
> As you know, If I do seek to missing stream position, audio sink never go to preroll status.
> It means pipeline can not go to PAUSED and PLAYING states because audio sink can not get any buffer.
>
> I understand the GAP event is for handling these missing part of the streams.
> In addition, some of the core and base plugins are already implemented about GAP event.
>
> Thus It seems that every demux has a role of detecting the gap in the stream and create the event, although it has not been implemented yet.
> I just want to know what my thought about it is correct or if you has a general idea for it please let me know.

That's correct, every demuxer has to detect gaps and send the GAP events
for those... and then the decoders should also do something sensible
about them, e.g. generating silence. The audio decoder base class should
do that already but there might be bugs about that.
And of course the sinks should also pre-roll when they receive a GAP
event so that the pipeline can go to PLAYING no matter if there's a gap
or not.