Could you please tell me reconfigure event is required or not?

Thiago Santos thiagoss at osg.samsung.com
Mon Apr 13 07:16:13 PDT 2015

On 04/13/2015 03:17 AM, HoonHee Lee wrote:
> I have a question about reconfigure event.
> Most of all, I have read below documentation.
> => http://fossies.org/linux/gstreamer/docs/design/part-negotiation.txt
>
> In my project, there is a requirement to transit a/v decoder element from
> fake a/v decoder to real a/v decoder or from a/v real decoder to a/v fake
> decoder.
> Actually fake a/v decoder is our specific elements which pass the data and
> events.
> For example, in our target environment, they have limited memory and h/w
> resources for decoding.
> While main stream is playing in streaming, advertisement(ad) stream is
> playing if needs then main stream is paused.
> In this situation, real a/v decoder in main stream should be changed fake
> a/v decoder, advertisement stream should have real a/v decoder in pipeline
> paused state.
> Then, ad stream is ended, real a/v decoder in ad stream should be changed
> fake a/v decoder.
> Fake a/v decoder in main stream should be changed real a/v decoder.
> As you know, 'reconfigure' event is sent from input-selector when active
> track is changed in order to renegotiation.
> I can not make a decision 'reconfigure' event is needed or not in my
> situation.
> This case is a little bit different from switching audio track change.
>
> Could you please tell me reconfigure event is required or not in this
> situation?
It should be needed as when the input changes there might be a new
possible caps to be negotiated in the pipeline. Are you having any issue
with it? input-selector should automatically send the reconfigure and
the elements involved will act on it if needed, there should be no need
for the application to interfere.

What issues are you having?

> --

Thiago Sousa Santos
Senior Multimedia Engineer, Open Source Group
Samsung Research America - Silicon Valley