Compiling a debug version of GStreamer 1.5.2 on Windows

Harry mckameh at wanadoo.fr
Mon Aug 10 05:42:15 PDT 2015

Upgrading from GStreamer 1.4.5 to 1.5.2 on Windows.
I'm testing transcoding, which basically didn't work on 1.4.5, to see if there is an improvement in 1.5.2.

As I'm encountering aborts and the release on Windows is lacking symbols, the non-informative stack dump I can see is:
LIBGSTREAMER-1.0-0! 61495410()
LIBGSTENCODEBIN! 70704e7a()

And the error message is this (memory violation) :
First-chance exception in myexe.exe (UBGSTREAMER-1.0-0.DLL):
0xC0000005: Access Violation.

For better debugging, I need to compile a debug version of GStreamer on Windows.
Although I have managed to compile 1.4.5 in the past, I have new problems with 1.5.2.

It would be much simpler if the maintainer of the Windows port of GStreamer could publish detailed instructions on how to compile it from sources, including which version of Visual Studio he is using, which additional products are required, and what is his directory structure.