Compiling a debug version of GStreamer 1.5.2 on Windows

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Mon Aug 10 06:11:48 PDT 2015

On Mo, 2015-08-10 at 14:42 +0200, Harry wrote:
> Upgrading from GStreamer 1.4.5 to 1.5.2 on Windows.
> I'm testing transcoding, which basically didn't work on 1.4.5, to see
> if there is an improvement in 1.5.2.
>
> As I'm encountering aborts and the release on Windows is lacking
> symbols, the non-informative stack dump I can see is:

The binaries are built with mingw, and mingw can't generate debug
symbols for Visual Studio unfortunately. You could use gdb for
debugging with the binaries though.

> For better debugging, I need to compile a debug version of GStreamer
> on Windows.
> Although I have managed to compile 1.4.5 in the past, I have new
> problems with 1.5.2.
>
> It would be much simpler if the maintainer of the Windows port of
> GStreamer could publish detailed instructions on how to compile it
> from sources, including which version of Visual Studio he is using,
> which additional products are required, and what is his directory
> structure.

The cerbero build system is used, see here:
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/cerbero/

It also contains a README that explains how to use it.