Processing Camera Video and Streaming Original Video using RTSP

Mandar Joshi emailmandar at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 18:06:35 PST 2015

Hello everyone,
I want to process video from a camera and stream the original video
over RTSP using gst-rtsp-server. I have the processing part running
fine using a couple of plugins. Just need to figure out whats going
wrong while streaming it. I am going to be doing all this on an
embedded Linux platform like Raspberry Pi 2/Odroid C1/Cubietruck but
for now I'm just testing different pipelines on my F23 desktop.

I have this pipeline which will be similar to the actual one doing the
processing and passing the video to x264enc using a tee. It uses
shmsink to send the video the socket /tmp/test

gst-launch-1.0 -v v4l2src do-timestamp=true !
video/x-raw,width=640,height=480,framerate=30/1,format=I420 ! x264enc
tune=zerolatency ! rtph264pay ! shmsink socket-path=/tmp/test
shm-size=10000000 wait-for-connection=false

Then I used test-launch from examples in gst-rtsp-server to start the streaming

GST_DEBUG=3 ./test-launch "( shmsrc socket-path=/tmp/test
do-timestamp=true ! application/x-rtp,clock-rate=90000 ! rtph264depay
! rtph264pay name=pay0 pt=96 )"

and finally I view the video using

gst-launch-1.0 -v rtspsrc location=rtsp://127.0.0.1:8554/test !
rtph264depay ! avdec_h264 ! xvimagesink

This works but gives me a 3 to 4 sec delay. I've attached the logs. I
added the do-timestamp=true following suggestion on other threads that
I found. Without it, the streaming doesn't work at all.

I've also attached the logs of what happens on the Raspberry Pi 2.
Over there rtspsrc fails with the message "Timeout while waiting for
server response"

Can someone please have a look?.

Regards
Mandar Joshi