RTP and RTSP for playback and seeking via network

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Wed Dec 30 00:19:40 PST 2015

On Di, 2015-12-29 at 20:01 -0800, doon wrote:
> I want to create a remote media player which will receive media data
> from the network and playback it. For this aim I can just use
> tcpclientsink(sender) and tcpserversrc(receiver) but I also need to
> seek media which not been loaded yet(if user want to seek video to
> 50% but file loaded on 25% then player should abort current buffering
> and start buffering from the 50% - just like Youtube), so I think I
> need to use RTP and RTSP.
> Is this a good choice? Because I know that RTSP used for streaming
> media but not for playback and seeking(I haven't heard about it).
> What are the alternatives?
> In advance thanks!

RTSP also supports seeking.

In general, you have a lot of options here. You could do this with
plain HTTP (assuming the container format makes seeking easy), any
adaptive streaming solution, RTSP, or ...

Which one to chose depends less on the requirements you mentioned so
far but more on the network setup (e.g. should it work easily over the
Internet? How many clients per stream?) and which client software
should be able to handle the streams.