negative DTS delays

frankw frankw0408 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 18:13:41 PST 2015

The gstreamer version I used is V1.4.5, on Windows. STC stands for System
Time Clock for mpeg systems. The tool that I used was a proprietary offline
stream analysis tool, which can analysis PCR and PTS, but it works only for
CBR streams, and not able to interpret/analyze correctly on VBR stream
without NULL packets stuffing... that's also one of my concerns - my tool
might not be suitable for the stream in question. "DTS delay" may be a loose
term, but I was referring to the timing for a frame to arrive in downstream
decoder buffer before it's needed, and having negative value usually means
frame arrives too late...

True, the input stream could also make things complicated... but input is a
CBR stream and checking its PCR and DTS delay looks ok though.

I think in general I wonder: after such transcoding, is it CBR or VBR
transport stream being produced? and in terms of PCR, how valid is it being
generated/inserted into the output stream?

Thx!