negative DTS delays

Nicolas Dufresne nicolas.dufresne at collabora.com
Sat Feb 21 09:49:37 PST 2015

Le 2015-02-19 21:13, frankw a écrit :
> I think in general I wonder: after such transcoding, is it CBR or VBR
> transport stream being produced? and in terms of PCR, how valid is it being
> generated/inserted into the output stream?
If transcoding (unless you mean transmuxing) it will be VBR or CBR
depending on how you have configured the encoder.

If you have enabled B-Frame and are using x264enc in 1.4, the PTS/DTS
delta will always be wrong. The reson is that in 1.4 we offset the DTS
forward in order to avoid unsupported negative values but we leave the
PTS untouched. This is very unfortunate behaviour which we are trying to
fix in current development cycle.

The delta being wrong does not affect Gst (same goes in VLC) as there is
no synchronization of stream at decoder input. In fact, our decoders
reorder the frames based on the sequences information found in the
bitstream. Decoders simply run as fast as possible, and block when
downstream is full/blocked.

Nicolas