Feedback for new histogram filter

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Tue Jan 20 00:26:15 PST 2015

On Mo, 2015-01-19 at 15:17 +0100, Dimitrios Katsaros wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to develop a filter for extracting histogram data from streams.
> The goal is to push it upstream so feedback is much appreciated. The
> problem I have is I do not know what would be the best method for exporting
> the calculated histogram. From what I have read, introducing a new
> histogram type to be streamed is not preferred. Between GstMeta and pad
> capabilities, I can't seem to find conclusive documentation on which method
> would be best for this case.
>
> Has anyone with anything relevant to handling and transferring statistic
> data? Any documentation or an example of a similar case would be much
> appreciated.

If the data has to be available inside the pipeline I would use a
GstMeta (or maybe a GstEvent). GstCaps is not a good idea as the data
will change very often, and renegotiation is not free.

If the data is only needed by the application, you can do the same
approach that the spectrum and level elements are doing and put the data
into a GstMessage.