Video runs at "superspeed" for a few seconds

Chris Tapp opensource at keylevel.com
Thu Jan 29 15:16:56 PST 2015

I'm using a playbin pipeline (1.4.5) (see attached .pdf for graph) to play an MPEG-TS from another system. This is generally working great, but the streams sometimes take a few seconds to start (up to 10). When they eventually start to play the audio is normal, but the video runs at high speed until it catches up with the audio as if it is showing frames that accumulated during the delay at startup (similar also sometimes happens if there is a glitch during playback).

Could this be something to do with the GstStreamSynchronizer element? If so, is there something I can do to drop the video if the audio is significantly out of sync?

I'm also not sure why there is a delay at startup - this isn't there if I open the same URL using the likes of VLC. The only clue I can see is that I get libav errors reporting a burst of zero size frames when the stream starts (ending with the first key frame?).

--

Chris Tapp
opensource at keylevel.com
www.keylevel.com