Video runs at "superspeed" for a few seconds

Tim Müller tim at centricular.com
Thu Jan 29 15:42:49 PST 2015

On Thu, 2015-01-29 at 23:16 +0000, Chris Tapp wrote:

Hi Chris,

> I'm using a playbin pipeline (1.4.5) (see attached .pdf for graph) to
> play an MPEG-TS from another system. This is generally working great,
> but the streams sometimes take a few seconds to start (up to 10). When
> they eventually start to play the audio is normal, but the video runs
> at high speed until it catches up with the audio as if it is showing
> frames that accumulated during the delay at startup (similar also
> sometimes happens if there is a glitch during playback).
>
> Could this be something to do with the GstStreamSynchronizer element?
> If so, is there something I can do to drop the video if the audio is
> significantly out of sync?

Have you tried with

  uridecodebin name=d \
    d. ! queue ! videoconvert ! videoscale ! autovideosink \
    d. ! queue ! audioconvert ! audioresample ! autoaudiosink

?

> I'm also not sure why there is a delay at startup - this isn't there if
> I open the same URL using the likes of VLC. The only clue I can see is
> that I get libav errors reporting a burst of zero size frames when the
> stream starts (ending with the first key frame?).

Our mpeg-ts startup can be a bit slow, which is partly due to the
latency reporting in tsdemux. But 10 seconds is a lot, no idea why that
is.

As always, perhaps try git master to see if the problem has been fixed?

 Regards
  -Tim