disabling branch of a pipeline

Christian Sell christian at gsvitec.com
Mon Jul 20 02:40:42 PDT 2015

Hello,

I have a pipeline which consists of several video streams, like this:

PIpeline
MyBin----------|
   MySource1 | -> playbin1 -> videosink1
   MySource2 |-> playbin 2-> videosink2
   MySource3 |-> playbin 3-> videosink3
------------------|

The user can only view one source at a time, but can switch between viewable
sources at will. This all works well already, but, as currently implemented,
full video processing takes place for all streams all the time. What I would
like to achieve is to "disable" those streams that are not currently being
viewed such that the basesrc->fill function is not even called on the respective
MySource elements. This is to avoid the significant processing overhead (buffer
allocation + debayering).

What would be the best way to do this?

thanks,
Christian