Find out at runtime if videoscale is actually scaling

Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia guille.rodriguez at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 06:47:25 PDT 2015

Hello all,

I am building a pipeline that plays video using xvimagesink.

xvimagesink takes advantage of hardware accelerated image scaling via
XVideo, if available. This works very well as long as the width/height
of the source video are within the max range that XVideo can handle.
However if the width/height of the source video are too large, then I
get no output.

To solve this I added a videoscale elemento to the pipeline. According
to the documentation, this should be a no-op if the video sink can
handle the scaling itself, and only actually do the software scaling
when required.

Now I would like to know if there is a way to find out (at runtime)
whether the videoscale element is actually performing a software
scaling. Is this possible?

Thank you,

Guillermo Rodriguez Garcia
guille.rodriguez at gmail.com