Error: no such element "ffmpeg"

Tim Müller tim at centricular.com
Mon Jun 8 08:49:36 PDT 2015

On Mon, 2015-06-08 at 08:11 -0700, chetan.bele wrote:

Hi,

> I have nexus 7 tablet and Ubuntu touch is installed on it. I want to see a
> RTSP stream using Gstreamer.
> I have installed gstreamer1.0-tools gstreamer1.0-plugins-good
> gstreamer1.0-plugins-ugly gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad.
>
> I have also tried to install "gstreamer1.0-ffmpeg" but then it gives an
> error. I read on other websites and it says that you have to install
> "gstreamer1.0-libav" though I have not yet installed as I don't have a
> proper idea about it.

In 0.10 the package was called gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg, in 1.x it's called
gstreamer1.0-libav - same thing though.

> Line on terminal:
> gst-launch-1.0 rtspsrc connection-speed=100000 latency=0 buffer-mode=none
> location=rtsp://admin:12345@<IP address>:8554/stream ! rtph264depay !
> ffdec_h264 ! ffmpegcolorspace ! deinterlace mode=interlaced ! fpsdisplaysink
> sync=false -v
>
> Please suggest me what will be the solution for this. How can I overcome the
> problem of ffpmeg and How can I get the stream on tablet?

In 0.10 the elements were named ffdec_*, ffenc_* etc. in 1.x the
elements are named avdec_* etc., so it's avdec_h264 now. You also need
to use 'videoconvert' instead of 'ffmpegcolorspace'.

Regards
 -Tim