Gstreamer iOS framework size

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Mon May 18 03:06:03 PDT 2015

On Mo, 2015-05-18 at 12:56 +0300, Antonis Tsakiridis wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I managed to successfully build a universal GStreamer framework for iOS
> with cerbero (great tool by the way). My only concern is with the size of
> the generated bundle. It is about half a gig and if I install it, it
> expands to a little over 1Gb. This size makes it a bit hard to handle -is
> there a way I could somehow reduce it? Could it be that debug symbols are
> included which can be stripped? Or maybe any libs that aren't really used
> in an iOS environment which don't need to be part of the bundle?

The "problem" is that a) debug symbols are included and b) you have
libraries for 5 different platforms (x86, x86-64, arm7, arm7s, arm64) :)

When linking an application against the framework, the linker will
automatically drop everything that is not needed and especially will
drop debug symbols if you build in release mode. It's only a lot of
space you need as a developer, and not causing huge applications for the
user.