what difference the gst-omx and gst-openmax?

Tim Müller tim at centricular.com
Wed Nov 18 01:21:48 PST 2015

On Tue, 2015-11-17 at 17:55 -0800, zhang007z wrote:

> I use google to search gst-omx and gstopenmax,but I think that the
> functionality of two plugins seem to be same.I don't understand that
> what
> relationship between gst-omx and gstopenmax. according to their
> individual
> documentation, (1)gst-openmax is a GStreamer plug-in that allows
> communication with OpenMAX IL components. (2)gst-omx is that This
> module
> contains a plugin that wraps available OpenMAX IL components and
> makes them
> available as standard GStreamer elements. at above two points I think
> that
> they are implementation of OpenMAX IL wrapper. what implement them by
> two
> mehtod if they are same wrapper for OpenMAX IL? Anybody have any idea
> for
> me,thank you to explain this issue for me.

gst-openmax was one of the earlier implementations of a gstreamer omx
IL wrapper. It is for 0.10 only, and abandoned.

gst-omx provides the same functionality, but is a from-scratch rewrite.
It was originally developed for 0.10 and has been ported to 1.x.

gst-omx is current and maintained (for 1.x).

 Cheers
  -Tim