GstRtspServer Compile and install gir files to use from Python

Adam Langley linux at irisdesign.co.nz
Tue Oct 6 20:23:46 PDT 2015

Hi,

I am running Debian Jessie on a Raspberry Pi - and the package server
provides gstreamer 1.4.4 - however it does not yet have a 1.0 copy of the
GstRtspServer (whereas Debian Wheezy did have the 1.2.4 branch) - so I am
compiling it myself - to use from Python.
I am still getting "ImportError: cannot import name GstRtspServer" in my
python script, and I see that there is no GstRtspServer GIR file in my
"/usr/share/gir-1.0/" folder - I'm not sure where I have gone wrong in my
build.

This is my process:

1. install gstreamer
apt-get install gstreamer-1.0

2. install python dev library
apt-get install python-dev

3. Get GstRtspServer source code
wget
http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/src/gst-rtsp-server/gst-rtsp-server-1.4.4.tar.xz
tar -xvf gst-rtsp-server-1.4.4.tar.xz

4. install libtool
apt-get install libtool

5. install AutoConf
apt-get install autoconf

6. install introspection
apt-get install libgirepository1.0-dev

7. generate configure script
cd gst-rtsp-server-1.4.4
./configure --enable-introspection=yes  --disable-gtk-doc

8. make and install
./make; make install

This does produce the gir in the build directory...

/home/pi/gst-rtsp-server-1.4.4# ls -al gst/rtsp-server/ | grep .gir
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 347664 Oct  7 02:20 GstRtspServer-1.0.gir

... and I have tried copying this to my /usr/share/gir-1.0/ folder, but it
doesnt fix the python error.

What am I missing?

Thanks