androidmedia (amc) plugin not able to access Hardware codecs for Android 5.0 and Higher

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Wed Apr 6 07:01:47 UTC 2016

On Di, 2016-04-05 at 09:34 -0700, Chikkamath wrote:
> Hi Sebastian,
> With gstreamer release 1.7.90 we are able to access hardware codecs on
> Android 5.0 versions. However our QA found playback issue of media file.
> Media file generated from gstreamer pipeline will playback smoothly on
> native player of the device. Here testing device is Samsung Galaxy S4 (Model
> GT-I9506) but other apps failed to playback the media file for example
> Google Photos. After debugging it has been found that issue isn't with
> pipeline but it's related to NALU syntax of video stream generated by
> Hardware encoder.To confirm this earlier hardware encoder (gstreamer release
> 1.4) has bitstream syntax where as we can find SPS followed by PPS and
> CODED_SLICE_IDR and with gstreamer release 1.7.90 we can observe repeated
> SPS, PPS in first NALU unit i.e AvcSample(0) NALU unit has SPS followed by
> PPS again SPS followed PPS then CODED_SLICE_IDR. Decoder suppose to ignore
> repeated SPS and PPS parameters. This could be one of reason gstreamer
> 1.7.90 Video stream could be not playback with Google Photos app and also
> failed to playback with most of other apps.

You mean in 1.4 we generated a stream that only had a single SPS/PPS in
the beginning, and with 1.8 we duplicate the SPS/PPS before every
keyframe?
And your decoder is failing because of those duplicated SPS/PPS?

Which encoder are you using here again? Are you using h264parse?

Please report a bug about this with all those information and ideally
also two sample streams here:
https://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=GStreamer