a few question wrt new release 1.8

Andres Gonzalez andres.agoralabs at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 01:37:16 UTC 2016

Hi,

I have been using version 1.4.4 on a debian jessie box. All of the gstreamer
libraries were installed using the regular apt-get packages that debian
supplies. However, I now want to start using the latest 1.8 version and so I
cannot rely on debian to provide the most recent packages.  It appears that
debian packages gstreamer a bit different than the way gstreamer is
officially released.  So I am trying to understand this because I have to
now start managing my own gstreamer libraries built from your official  tar
balls.

I started by purging all of the currently installed gstreamer-related
packages.   gstreamer-1.8.0.tar.xz extracted, built, and installed without
any issues.

When configuring  gst-plugins-base-1.8.0 to build, it listed some plugins
that have external dependencies that will be built, and a list of those
plugins that have external dependencies that will not be built.

Question #1: Is there a way to determine what those external dependencies
are for a particular plugin element?   For example, in my case, xvimagesink
will not be built because of these external dependencies.

The packaging for debian jessie has a separate package called gstreamer-x
and I am assuming that package would have those dependencies. But I do not
want to re-install that debian package until I understand the dependencies
better and so be assured there will not be any conflicts.

Question #2: What is the significance of the Orc libs for building the
plugins?  When building the plugins, I get a log that says that it
configured for building without Orc and seems to imply that there will be a
performance hit because of the lack of the Orc libs.  I have never use the
Orc libs and so know nothing about that lib. So please advise on whether I
should install and build gstreamer with Orc.

Thanks,
-Andres