a few question wrt new release 1.8

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Wed Apr 13 07:31:52 UTC 2016

On Di, 2016-04-12 at 18:37 -0700, Andres Gonzalez wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been using version 1.4.4 on a debian jessie box. All of the gstreamer
> libraries were installed using the regular apt-get packages that debian
> supplies. However, I now want to start using the latest 1.8 version and so I
> cannot rely on debian to provide the most recent packages.  It appears that
> debian packages gstreamer a bit different than the way gstreamer is
> officially released.  So I am trying to understand this because I have to
> now start managing my own gstreamer libraries built from your official  tar
> balls.

I would start with the official Debian packages for 1.8.0, which are
available since the day of release. With some minor changes you should
be able to build these also on jessie, and you have the advantage that
you don't have a second GStreamer installation, and also don't replace
your system installation with something not from packages.

> When configuring  gst-plugins-base-1.8.0 to build, it listed some plugins
> that have external dependencies that will be built, and a list of those
> plugins that have external dependencies that will not be built.
>
> Question #1: Is there a way to determine what those external dependencies
> are for a particular plugin element?   For example, in my case, xvimagesink
> will not be built because of these external dependencies.

The README might explain it, but in the end the only authoritative
information is the configure.ac.

On Debian,
  apt-get build-dep gst-plugins-base1.0
will help you with installing all required dependencies. This is then
based on the information of the debian/control file in the source
package.

> The packaging for debian jessie has a separate package called gstreamer-x
> and I am assuming that package would have those dependencies. But I do not
> want to re-install that debian package until I understand the dependencies
> better and so be assured there will not be any conflicts.

The Debian packaging uses the same source packages as released by the
GStreamer project. The resulting binaries are split into separate
binary packages though to a) stay according with Debian policies
(separate library, tools and development files packages) and b) to not
have a huge set of dependencies (why would you need X11 to use
GStreamer?).

> Question #2: What is the significance of the Orc libs for building the
> plugins?  When building the plugins, I get a log that says that it
> configured for building without Orc and seems to imply that there will be a
> performance hit because of the lack of the Orc libs.  I have never use the
> Orc libs and so know nothing about that lib. So please advise on whether I
> should install and build gstreamer with Orc.

ORC is needed for assembly optimizations of many elements, e.g.
converters. Without, things will run a bit slower.