latency measurement in pipeline

viki pcuser.mails at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 13:32:39 UTC 2016

Hi,
I'm newbie to gstreamer. I'm working on setting up a real time video
streaming server with gstreamer pipeline and disply on client side (both
server and client are linux PC)

gstreamer pipeline in streaming server:
gst-launch-1.0 v4l2src ! video/x-raw,format=NV12,width=640,height=480,fps=30
! x264enc bitrate=1000 tune=zerolatency speed-preset=ultrafast ! h264parse !
rtph264pay ! udpsink host=10.0.0.3 port=5000

gstreamer pipeline in client PC:
gst-launch-1.0 -v udpsrc port=5000 !
application/x-rtp,encoding-name=H264,payload=96 ! rtpjitterbuffer
latency=150 ! rtph264depay ! h264parse ! decodebin ! xvimagesink

I can measure end to end latency from server to client by timeoverlay plugin
and taking a snapshot at both client and server at the same instant.

I hope there is other options available in gstreamer to measure end to end
latency more accurately,which I'm not aware of.
I also need to measure latency at component level in the pipeline.Is there
an option in gstreamer to measure latency at individual component in the
pipeline?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks