DVB-T and DVB-T2: quick sanity check

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Thu Apr 21 16:01:25 UTC 2016

On Thu, 2016-04-21 at 10:15 +0200, Stefan Ringel wrote:

> > Russel Winder <russel at winder.org.uk> hat am 21. April 2016 um 09:24
> > geschrieben:
> >

> > On Wed, 2016-04-20 at 15:20 -0700, Reynaldo H. Verdejo Pinochet
> > wrote:

[…]
> > > For DVB-T2 you need to be properly setting: frequency, delsys,
> > > bandwidth, code_rate_hp, code_rate_lp, modulation,
> > > transmission_mode, guard_interval, hierarchy_information
> > > and stream_id. Some of these parameters might have sane
> > > defaults but please double check.
> >
> > All of these parameters should be picked up from the virtual
> > channels
> > file, so there should be no need to specify them manually.
> >
> into what you picked up, external tool or other gstreamer element?

Not sure what you mean here, but…

The dvbsrc plugin receives the name of a channel. It reads the virtual
channel file (or fails to work if it cannot) and looks up the channel
and once found (or delivers a failure if it cannot) it has access to
all the properties required, the ones Reynaldo listed. The virtual
channels file has to be preprepared, yes, but that is what tools such
as dvbv5-scan are there to do. Also there are functions in the libdvbv5
to do this, so that applications can do this for themselves.

It is true though that Fedora Rawhide does not package dvbv5-scan and
dvbv5-zap as far as I can tell even though Debian Sid does. I am not
sure about other distributions.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk