AW: Re: AW: the humble videotestsrc element is magical !!!

bernhard.graaf bernhard.graaf at gmx.de
Thu Aug 4 20:34:19 UTC 2016

Why so complicated? If you have only video source, why not source ! queue ! tcpserversink.The rest could be done on client side.

-------- Ursprüngliche Nachricht --------Von: Andres Gonzalez <andres.agoralabs at gmail.com> Datum: 04.08.16  20:24  (GMT+01:00) An: gstreamer-devel at lists.freedesktop.org Betreff: Re: AW: the humble videotestsrc element is magical !!!
Thank you Bernhard for your response.

This pipeline appears to work correctly on the server but causes the client
to exit in error:

gst-launch-1.0 -vv decklinkvideosrc device-number=4 mode=10 ! queue !
videoconvert ! x264enc byte-stream=true !
"video/x-h264,stream-format=byte-stream" ! h264parse config-interval=1 !
queue ! matroskamux streamable=true ! queue leaky=2 ! tcpserversink
port=50010 host=0.0.0.0 recover-policy=keyframe sync-method=latest-keyframe
sync=false

This pipeline also appears to work correctly on the server but causes the
client to exit in error:

gst-launch-1.0 -vv v4l2src device=/dev/video0 typefind=true ! queue !
videoconvert ! x264enc byte-stream=true ! h264parse config-interval=1 !
queue ! matroskamux streamable=true ! queue leaky=2 ! tcpserversink
port=50010 host=0.0.0.0 recover-policy=keyframe sync-method=latest-keyframe
sync=false

Actually, these are just temporary sources for me.  I am working on a native
app that uses the API and not gst-launch. I have several GStreamer RTP/RTCP
streams working correctly using appsrc for the sources, and I am currently
in the process of adding TCP streaming for these appsrc sources. But I could
not get my appsrc-based pipelines to work correctly when I used those same
basic appsrc-based pipelines (but modified the sink elements for
tcpserversink instead of the RTP/RTCP sinks).

So I concluded that TCP streaming and tcpserversink was more complicated
than I originally thought, or at least I am missing some key concepts.  So I
went back to playing with these gst-launch pipelines so I could figure out
what I was doing wrong. Debugging GStreamer gst-launch scripts is much
easier than debugging GStreamer API routines in my native C++ app.   :-)

Thanks for your help,

-Andres