AW: Re: AW: the humble videotestsrc element is magical !!!

Andres Gonzalez andres.agoralabs at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 15:56:07 UTC 2016

That is a very good point, and GStreamer is amazing at facilitating
simplicity over complexity.

But when I cannot get a pipeline to work as expected, I always assume that I
am not setting the appropriate element properties correctly, or the design
of the pipeline is not optimal. So I proceed to explicitly set more
properties or add more elements to the pipeline as I get the pipeline
working like I want, and all of this then adds complexity to the pipeline.

For me, the only way to learn GStreamer is to play with complex pipelines
not the simple ones. GStreamer does so much under-the-covers that it is
difficult to understand what is really going on if I use only simple
pipelines.

But your point is well taken, I should always go for the simple and
otherwise avoid unneeded complexity.

Thanks,

-Andres