Missing openh264enc plugin in Linux

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Mon Aug 22 05:59:53 UTC 2016

On Fri, 2016-08-19 at 07:32 -0700, kroketor wrote:
> Thank you for your advice Andres.
> Yes, you are right, the x264enc is present and i'm actually using it, but in
> my (short) experience in windows it creates biggers archives (double size)
> than the openh264 and i need to optimize the space in my project.

Check all the properties on it. It can basically create whatever you
want it to, it might just be that the default settings are different.

For openh264, you seem to be using Debian or a Debian derived
distribution. Currently Debian does not package openh264 at all, so the
plugin in the gst-plugins-bad package can also not be enabled.

You can build it yourself if needed though, there's nothing inherent in
it that it couldn't work on Linux. It does very well :)