What does g-ir-scanner used for in gst-libs/gst/gl/ of gst-bad

Matthew Waters ystreet00 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 13:32:16 UTC 2016

On 26/08/16 17:21, Haihua Hu wrote:

> Hi there,
>

> I notcice it will do g-ir-scanner when finish build gst-libs/gst/gl
> directory, what dose it for?
>

> We add an internal library A in gst-libs/gst/A of gst-bad, and
> glupload will call functions in this library. So I add link to A when
> build glplugins in gst-bad, but meet g-ir-scanner failed on loading
> library A.

"failed on loading library A" is not very descriptive.  How exactly does
it fail?  g-ir-scanner uses the pkg-config files to link a small program
that introspects GOBject's and if you're library A does not provide one
or it's not passed to g-ir-scanner, then the linking (or running the
application) may fail.

Side note: what does this library do?  Would it be useful to include
upstream?

> Could someone explain to me why need do g-ir-scanner for gl library?
> Will cause any problem such as library can not run if i disable it?

g-ir-scanner builds the GObject-Introspection information so that one
can use the GStreamer GL library from other languages like python or
vala or javascript or whatever language there are binding generators for.

Cheers
-Matt