What does g-ir-scanner used for in gst-libs/gst/gl/ of gst-bad

Haihua Hu jared.hu at nxp.com
Fri Aug 26 15:21:57 UTC 2016

Hi there,

I notcice it will do g-ir-scanner when finish build gst-libs/gst/gl directory, what dose it for?

We add an internal library A in gst-libs/gst/A of gst-bad, and glupload will call functions in this library. So I add link to A when build glplugins in gst-bad, but meet g-ir-scanner failed on loading library A.

"failed on loading library A" is not very descriptive.  How exactly does it fail?  g-ir-scanner uses the pkg-config files to link a small program that introspects GOBject's and if you're library A does not provide one or it's not passed to g-ir-scanner, then the linking (or running the application) may fail.

[Jared] I have passed the library path to a-ir-scanner via –library-path option, but failed again.
Here is my Error log:
/home/jared/gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad/1.8.1-r0/build/gst-libs/gst/gl/tmp-introspectZG2B_y/.libs/GstGL-1.0: error while loading shared libraries: libgstbadion-1.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Side note: what does this library do?  Would it be useful to include upstream?
[jared] the libgstbadion-1.0.so is our ion based dmabuf allocator, we have tried to upstream this allocator several weeks ago.

Could someone explain to me why need do g-ir-scanner for gl library? Will cause any problem such as library can not run if i disable it?

g-ir-scanner builds the GObject-Introspection information so that one can use the GStreamer GL library from other languages like python or vala or javascript or whatever language there are binding generators for.

Cheers
-Matt

Best wishes
Jared