no element "vaapidecodebin"

Víctor M. Jáquez L. vjaquez at igalia.com
Tue Aug 30 08:50:46 UTC 2016

Hi,

On 08/20/16 at 02:34am, Dilip Yadav wrote:
> Hello all. I am new to gstreamer.

> I have installed the gstreamer 1.9.1 in uninstalled way in my home
> directory.I am using Ubuntu 14.04.

If I understand correctly you are having troubles to work in a gst-uninstalled
environment, there are not precisely problems related with gstreamer-vaapi.

You can use as reference
https://arunraghavan.net/2014/07/quick-start-guide-to-gst-uninstalled-1-x/

> To use gstreamer-vaapi, I had to install libva and intel-driver for
> integrated HD graphics. Then I compiled gstreamer-vaapi 1.9.1 . It is
> working somehow. And gst-inspect-1.0 recognizes the vaapi elements.
>
> The command works though with some delay.
>  "gst-launch-1.0 filesrc location=/home/ct/test.mp4 ! qtdemux !
> vaapidecodebin ! vaapipostproc width=640 ! vaapisink"
>
> But the problem starts when I reboot the system. When I run the command it
> says:
>
> WARNING: erroneous pipeline: no element "vaapidecodebin"

This is because you are in you system environment, using the system's
gstreamer setup, not the one you compiled.

> I have tried following:
>
> 1. cd to gst/master directory and run the script "gst-uninstalled". As far
>    as I know this script sets the environment variables of gstreamer
>    plugins. But this doesn't help.

This is odd, because you said you installed gstreamer 1.9.1 but you are using
gst/master with gst-unistalled, which is master, not the tag 1.9.1

I you follow the instructions in the page I referred before, you should have a
symbolic link to gst-unstalled in gst/ named gst-master which you should
execute to set up the uninstalled environment *for master branch*. You could
also have a symbolic link to gst-1.9 aiming to release 1.9, for example.

> 2. Again installing libva and intel-driver. Then recompiling
>    gstreamer-vaapi. This works again.
>
> Will I need to do it every time I boot the machine? Please help.

Nope, you just have to setup your uninstalled environment correctly. And it is
tricky if you use libva and intel-driver in a uninstalled fashion. It would be
easier if you install the dev packages in you system. Otherwise, you have to
modify your gst-unistalled script to add the proper variables aiming to your
libva and intel-driver directories.

vmjl