handling multipe rtp sources with videomixer where there is no data on one source

Tim Müller tim at centricular.com
Sat Dec 10 10:19:14 UTC 2016

On Fri, 2016-12-09 at 18:08 -0800, Florian Nierhaus wrote:

Hi Florian,

> I want to mix multiple rtp video sources and output them live.
>
> I noticed that if any of the rtp video sources receives no data, then
> videomixer doesn't mix (and there is no output).
>
> I would prefer to to just ignore the empty input (or treat it as
> transparent).
>
> Any suggestions? Is there some plugin which just produces transparent
> video if there is nothing in the source pad - or some flag I have
> missed.
>
> The pipeline seems to be in PLAYING state.

Try using the "compositor" element from gst-plugins-bad instead, it
will replace the old videomixer in the near future and has been
rewritten from scratch to support live input properly, amongst other
things.

Compositor (and audiomixer) have a "latency" property that you can set,
to tell them how long to max. wait for a buffer.

Cheers
 -Tim