ANN: tracer python library in gst-devtools

Stefan Sauer ensonic at hora-obscura.de
Tue Dec 20 08:46:21 UTC 2016

Hi,

I just pushed a new python library for writing tracer tools to

https://cgit.freedesktop.org/gstreamer/gst-devtools/tree/tracer

tracer plugins are still written the as plugin features. This library
provides a foundation to write tools that process trace logs. It comes
with a some base classes, tests and one work-in-progress tool. I have
some more tools in the works, but they still need tweaking.

One notable thing is that is does not depend on gstreamer itself.
Initially I used the Gst.Structure via gi, but it turns out to be a
bottleneck. The library now comes with a pure python based parser for
structures. There is still one case where it is slower (nested
structures), but I can't figure why - any help appreciated.

Another focus point for this library is that I finally would like to
make use of the tracer classes. Each trace.log has a description of what
is potentially in the log. The gsttr-stats tool that is included is
making use of the classes to aggregate values and print stats.

If you ever wrote a script that post processed a tracer log, it would be
great if you could try to port it over. I am happy to see more tools in
this module.

I hope to be able to hack a lot more on this over x-mas and look forward
to get feedback on this

Stefan