Trouble converting RTSP video streams to OGV/WEBM (MP4 seems to work)

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Tue Feb 16 08:11:26 UTC 2016

On Mo, 2016-02-08 at 22:53 -0800, debruyn wrote:
> Fixed some issues but need some explanation and advice
> The whole issue was solved by removing the Decodebin element and
> building my own custom decode/depay structure. Pipe looks as follows
>>
> GST_DEBUG=3 GST_DEBUG_DUMP_DOT_DIR=~/Documents/graphs/ gst-launch-1.0
> rtspsrc location=rtsp://192.168.0.216/video.h264 user-id=admin user-
> pw=admin123 name=source ! rtpjitterbuffer ! rtph264depay ! avdec_h264
> ! theoraenc ! oggmux ! filesink
> location=~/Documents/test/ip_test.ogg
>
> Can someone plz explain why decodebin didn't allow for flawless
> conversion?

Differences here are that you don't use "latency=0" anymore. Also you
don't need an rtpjitterbuffer after rtspsrc in general.

It would also make sense to add some queues into your pipeline, e.g.
before the encoder, and also add a videoconvert there.

> Also i changed the sink to output the (soundless) video to an Icecast
> server. Pipeline as follows:
>
> GST_DEBUG=3 GST_DEBUG_DUMP_DOT_DIR=~/Documents/graphs/ gst-launch-1.0
> rtspsrc location=rtsp://10.15.1.216/video.h264 user-id=admin user-
> pw=admin123 name=source ! rtpjitterbuffer ! rtph264depay ! avdec_h264
> ! theoraenc ! oggmux ! shout2send ip=192.168.0.182 port=8000
> password=password mount=/test.ogg
>
> Now when loading the video into HTML tags i get the following
> annoyance. Chrome gives a delayed response between 5 seconds and 16
> Seconds. Firefox buffers the video extremely so that it becomes
> impossible to watch the stream. Is there a way to improve this?

You don't really have much control over the buffering that browsers are
doing for video streams unfortunately. Using a streaming protocol and
things like MSE would improve on this.

> Lastly is there any suggestions of what is the best method to stream
> mp4 files to the web? Icecast doesn't support the container. Any help
> or suggestions would be appreciated

Using the DASH protocol. MP4 is not a streamable container by itself.