pipeline doesn't send send GST_MESSAGE_STATE_CHANGED when changing to NULL

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Tue Feb 23 10:03:44 UTC 2016

On Di, 2016-02-23 at 01:27 -0800, gyunaev wrote:
> The problem is that I'm waiting on a bus message via
> gst_bus_timed_pop_filtered() running in a separate thread - so I need
> some kind of message so the gst_bus_timed_pop_filtered() would stop
> waiting.
> However I do get READY -> NULL states for pipeline elements, so
> currently it works for me. Unless there are other possibilities?

You shouldn't get READY->NULL state change messages, at least not from
the pipeline itself.

How to solve this properly depends on the design of your application.
You probably also don't want to use gst_bus_timed_pop_filtered() but
integrate the bus with some kind of main/event loop.
If you really want to use gst_bus_timed_pop_filtered(), you could post
a APPLICATION message on it before setting the state to NULL.

In theory gst_bus_timed_pop_filtered() should also return with a NULL
message when the bus is flushed. Does it?