RTP and RTSP for playback and seeking via network

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Sat Jan 9 23:15:23 PST 2016

On So, 2016-01-03 at 18:55 -0800, doon wrote:
> Yes, it should work over the Internet. I don't know exactly how many
> users will watch one video, but the main idea that it's application
> not for streaming, it's precisely online video player like Youtube or
> Vimeo. So now I think I need to use HTTP, is this a right option for
> this purpose?

What's the difference between "streaming" and an "online video player
like YouTube" for you?

But most likely some HTTP based protocol is the better solution for you
then, especially if you want to be able to use it in web browsers. Take
a look at what those websites you mentioned are doing to get ideas, but
basically you'll need multiple different protocols and codec/container
combinations as there's no common format between browsers currently.
What is best depends on your target audience and if you can expect them
to run proper, up to date web browsers.