Using GstVideoOverlay on Mac

Sebastian Dröge sebastian at centricular.com
Thu Jan 14 04:01:10 PST 2016

On Do, 2016-01-14 at 11:24 +0000, Andy Robinson wrote:
> On 13/01/16 20:34, Sebastian Dröge wrote:
> > It was definitely working a longer time ago but I wouldn't be
> > surprised
> > if nobody is using the GstVideoOverlay interface on OSX nowadays as
> > there are better ways for native OSX applications now.
>
> I would be very grateful if you would tell me what these better ways
> are.
>
> All I want to do is use GStreamer to display video in the right place
> within a window on Mac OSX - surely this is a very normal thing to
> do?

The best way currently would be to use the CoreAnimation sink but you
can probably not use it when you're using wxwidgets (it depends on what
wxwidgets allows you to do). It works by setting the CALayer of a view
to what the sink is providing.

Independent of all that, we should nonetheless make sure that the
GstVideoOverlay interface of glimagesink works on OSX. So if you can
provide a testcase for the problem there, that would be great.